Monday, August 25, 2008

Politicaltasticness

A lot of my friends back home ask me about politics. They figure, since I live and work in DC, I've got inside connections more insightful opinions than they do sitting all the way up in Ohio. And now, I've got this sort-of-DC-themed blog, which is a great platform for bloviating about the sordid dealings in our nation's capital. But here's the thing: I pretty much couldn't care less about politics anymore.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm still going to vote, and I'm still going to read both candidate's platforms, examine their stances on issues, watch the conventions, etc., because I'm not a moron. But honestly, I think I may be the first person in the history of the United States to move to DC and become less interested in politics. And it's not like I've always been this way. I was a poli sci major and I campaigned pretty hard for Kerry in '04. But I think I totally shot my wad on that one. Since that election, and given the constant barrage of INSIDE INFO that is DC life, I've just gotten turned off. It's like, I love Ruby Tuesday. But if all I ate all day, everyday was Ruby Tuesday, I'd start to hate it (probably right around the time of my second or third quadruple bypass).

This little rant was spurred on by Obama's selection of Joe Biden as VP. Yeah, I got the text, and I knew who the people on the short list were, but I haven't been following it for every waking second of the past two months. The baseball trading deadline, now that was another story. I can tell you pretty much everything that went down and what it means for each MLB team that was involved in a deadline deal, and I can probably provide more in-depth commentary about it than most pundits can provide about the VP race.

But I digress. Politics is a major part of what fuels DC, so in the interest of keeping this blog in tune with the city, we've decided to invite our friend the Sober Pundit on as a political correspondent. Trust me, she's much more adept at breaking this stuff down than I am. And she's hella funny. She might make a few random posts here and there as well, so keep an eye out for her bemused rantings!

0 comments: