Friday, August 1, 2008

DC Beer Tour, Part I

Enjoying unique beers is one of my favorite hobbies. Despite the fact that DC is kind of lacking in the regional craft beer arena, there are quite a few good places in the District that boast globe-spanning collections of robust, flavorful beers. I don't fancy myself a beer critic, but I figured it might be a good idea to chronicle my beer sampling adventures for those of you who may share my appreciation.

One of my favorite beer stops in DC is RFD. Owned by the same folks who own DC beer-lover staple The Brickskeller, RFD is located right in the heart of Chinatown, which makes it very convenient when stumbling back to the Metro after a few IPAs. The beer list is astounding, offering over 300 bottled beers from around the US and the world. Though I've never been to Brickskeller, it seems RFD has the advantage with 30-50 beers on tap compared to Brickskeller's almost exclusively bottled list. I've been there three or four times now, and I've never been disappointed with the beer. The food and the service, on the other hand, can leave a bit to be desired.

The menu features pretty standard bar food with a nod to "upscale" dining. Many of the dishes are made with some element of beer, which is unique in theory but nothing special in practice. Prices are a bit on the high side, considering the "meh" quality. But really, it's a beer place, and you can never go wrong with a beer and a decent burger -- both of which are in abundance at RFD.

My only real beef with my latest RFD experience is the service. Last night, my curiosity was piqued by a beer I hadn't seen on their menu before, North Coast Red Seal Ale. Being a huge fan of pale ales, I asked the server what he thought of the beer. He described it to me as a "standard red ale, like an amber." First off, red ale and amber are not the same thing. Secondly, the Red Seal Ale was neither of those. Suspecting he didn't know what he was talking about, I ordered it anyway. It was, as expected, a pale ale. Pretty good, nice and hoppy, but not too complex -- nothing to write home about. Anyway, the point is, if I'm going to a specialty beer place, the server should at least have a clue what they're selling. I know that sounds snobby, but it's not an unreasonable demand. Of course you can't expect them to know every beer on the list, but you'd think they would at least know the difference between types of beers well enough to recommend things. That said, this may have been a one-time thing, as I've certainly had knowledgeable servers at RFD in the past.

As for the physical location, the atmosphere is a bit lacking. It's somewhat reminiscent of a cafeteria, only littered with banners and posters and signs advertising beers of the world. It can attract rowdier kickball/softball crowds on occasion, but they are often relegated to the back patio and the indoor crowd is pretty laid back place.

If you're a fan of good beer, RFD should definitely be on your checklist of places to hit in the DC area.

One more thing, though. If I ever catch someone again in a place like RFD drinking Sam Adams Light, I will punch you and your entire party directly in the teeth. Just FYI. (I kid, I kid. But seriously, Sam Adams makes some good beers. If you're not ready to try more exotic imports or craft brews, at least grow some balls and try one of Sam's real brews.)

EDIT: DCist has alerted me to some disturbing news. We can only hope that was Miller Lite.

0 comments: